Who doesn’t love comfort food?
A rainy morning and leftover potatoes… What to do? Make home fries, of course!
I love a hearty breakfast but almost every day I have oatmeal. Today I thought, why not a tasty breakfast on a cool damp morning for my 97 year old mother and me? A couple of days ago we had some red skin potatoes as a side dish for dinner. A few simple ingredients can make some of the best meals.
- With left over potatoes on hand, a small yellow onion and a few strips of red bell pepper, I grab a large skillet and the EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).
- Cut the onions and peppers, a half inch dice works well.
- Slice the potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat, add the potatoes and cook until they start to brown. Turn over often to prevent sticking.
- Add to the pan the onions and pepper and cook until tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.
I like sausage and sunny side up eggs with home fries. A few shakes of Tabasco, some toasted Italian bread with butter and a hot cup of coffee.
Mom was pleased!